Odds of Winning Roulette with Science

What is the correct approach to beating roulette, and why?

The standard odds of winning roulette are calculated by dividing the number of winning numbers by the number of possible numbers. On an American roulette wheel, there are 38 slots on the wheel. On a European wheel, there are 37 slots. (The European wheel has one green slot labeled “zero” and the American roulette wheel has two greens: zero and double zero). Therefore, the odds of the ball landing on your number or color are your bet divided by 37 or 38. For example, if you bet on one number, the odds would be 1/37 or 1/38 depending on the wheel type (American or European). If you were betting on a corner, your odds would be 4/37 or 4/38.

Understanding Roulette Odds

It will help to see the page on roulette odds and understanding how to play roulette. The greater the odds of winning roulette bets, the less the payout; the lower the odds of winning roulette bets, the higher the payout. To calculate your complete odds, you need to multiply the payout by the initial odds. For example, an even money bet on red has odds of 18/37 or 18/38. Divided out, this gives you a 48.65 percent or 47.37 percent chance of winning. Since even money bets payout at 1:1 the odds are the same. The house has a 51.35 and 52.63 percent chance of winning. The difference between your odds of winning and the house’s is the house advantage. The advantage on a European wheel is 51.35 minus 48.65 or 2.7 percent. On the American wheel, it is 52.63 minus 47.37 or 5.26 percent. On a single number bet, the odds are 1/37 or 1/38. This divides out to 2.7 percent or 2.6316 percent. Since a single number pays out at 35 to 1, you need to multiply the odds by 35. This amounts to a 94.6 percent or 92.11 percent. The odds of the house winning each spin are 97.3 and 97.37. The house edge for a single number is, therefore, 97.3 minus 94.6 or 2.7 percent on the European wheel and 97.37 percent minus 92.11 or 5.26 percent. Notice that the house edge is exactly the same for the single number bet as it is for an even money bet.

The takeaway here is that the odds of winning roulette bets do not vary based on the type of bet so long as you remain consistent with your betting strategy. Granted, it also means that the house maintains a solid edge regardless of what numbers you are betting.

Why Math Systems Don’t Change The Odds of Winning Roulette

There are tons of books and articles that will try to fool you into believing that the roulette wheel can be beaten through math. These strategies have been around since the game was invented. It should be pointed out, however, that the math genius monk who invented the game went mad trying to find a way to beat it.

The reason mathematical systems cannot defeat the roulette wheel is that there is no way to change the odds of winning mathematically. Many systems will base their theories off of the statistical law of averages. The basically says that eventually the number of red and black numbers spun will equal out. This is true when dealing with an infinite number of spins; however, you do not have an infinite amount of time or money. What does this mean? It means that there are no cumulative effects of spins. Each spin is independent of all others. If 30 reds were spun in a row, the next spin has the exact same odds of being red, black, or green as the spins before and after it. While eventually the number of reds and blacks may average out, there is nothing that says a black is “due”. This misuse of statistics is very deceiving and will only end up wasting your time and money.

How Science Can Change Your Odds of Winning Roulette

The basics of roulette are founded on a wheel’s spinning while a ball spins in the opposite direction. As the velocity of the wheel and ball slows, gravity caused the ball to drop down, bounce, and land in a numbered and colored slot. The key words here are spin, velocity, gravity, and bounce. These are things that are studied by the science of physics. Physics tells us that by studying the spin speed, revolutions, time, ball bounce, and ending result over a series of spins, you can determine what the outcome of future spins will be.

If you can predict what the outcome of future spins will be, you have changed the odds of winning roulette, have removed the house’s edge, and have moved the advantage firmly into your court. Science has been used to beat the wheel for centuries. A number of huge hauls have been made, but most practitioners prefer to remain low-profile and win over time.

How it’s done. You can learn to identify the bias on a wheel or dealer signature that gives a certain grouping of numbers on the wheel a higher hit percentage than others. The percentage is incredibly slight, but at less than a one percent increase you can start making money. Most wheels are not biased, though and dealers change frequently.

You can learn to track the ball bounce on a given wheel and place late bets using this strategy. You can beat a number of wheels this way, but the constant use of late bets can cause the casinos to make things tough on you, even asking you to leave or shutting your wheel down.

You can also learn to track the revolutions of a wheel and determine the speed of the wheel and ball. Based on the revolutions prior to the ball drop and where the ball ends up, you can determine where the ball will likely end up on future spins with the same velocity. This is harder for the casino to spot and leads to a long-term winning strategy. It does take time and practice, though. You have to enjoy the casino life and playing roulette.

The Best Way To Win

If this is the life for you, you can increase your odds of winning roulette even more by using roulette software that takes the data you gather and computes the numbers way faster and more accurately than you can do in your head. At the top of the line, there are roulette computers that instantly assess the data and give you bet right on the spot. They are highly accurate and beat most wheels. Even in casinos where they are not strictly prohibited, they are not allowed to be used openly and can get you kicked out if you are caught using one.

To get the best free roulette systems that really work, see the top 5 proven roulette systems and the video series below. It's the best 100% free information for winning roulette you'll find. It's written by professionals who are really earning a living from roulette.

Most Popular